Thursday, August 14, 2008

Olympics Tennis : Federer, Venus shocked in their Quarter Finals Match

Roger Federer's disappointing season continued as his hopes of winning Olympic gold in the men's singles were ended by an inspired James Blake. The American had not beaten the top seed in eight previous attempts but comfortably outplayed the world number one for a 6-4 7-6 quarter-final win. The crowd was shocked to silence when Blake deservedly broke in the 10th game to take the first set. He then held his nerve in the second set tie-break to progress.

Federer, who will lose his world number one ranking to Rafael Nadal on Monday, made a number of unforced errors and will need a dramatic reversal in fortunes if he is to successfully defend his US Open title later this month. Blake, the world number seven, had won only one set in his previous matches against Federer, but he unnerved the five-time Wimbledon champion with a near faultless service game and aggressive forehand. "I always believed in myself," said Blake. "I'd lost to him eight, nine, 10, 50 times, I don't know how many, but I had the feeling it could be my day. "He didn't play a good first game and that put me up straight away. I played loose and free and I always fancy my chances on the 5-4 game. "I know I can beat the best in the world on my day and I proved it." Federer will compete in the men's doubles later on Thursday. The 28-year-old broke Federer when the Swiss was serving to stay in the first set and then broke again early in the second to take a 3-0 lead.
Federer, who was struggling with his serve and forehand, broke back in the fifth game to take the set to a tie-break only for Blake to win it after racing into a 4-1 lead. Federer could still win his first Olympic medal. He is scheduled to play with Stanislas Wawrinka in the men's doubles quarter-finals later on Thursday.

In an another match US player Venus Williams was given a shock by chinese player Li Na defeating her in straight sets. Venus started in a great style 3-0 but lost the next 3 games in the first set and went on to lose the first set. Then Li Na broke the first game of Venus in the 2nd set. Later the Chinese player went on to win the match convinsingly over Venus.

No comments: